Acne Causes & Natural Home Remedies For Acne
In This Article You Will Learn:
TYPES OF ACNE
CAUSES OF ACNE
NATURAL TREATMENTS OF ACNE
REISHI MUSHROOM BENEFITS LIST
BEST WAY TO BENEFIT FROM REISHI MUSHROOMS
According to The American Academy of Dermatology, acne is the most common skin condition in the United States. It is most common among teenagers, though it affects people of all ages. An estimated 80 percent of people between the ages 11 and 30 have acne outbreaks at some point so you are not alone. The biggest concern is, acne can leave significant scars so it is worth knowing more.
DEFINITION OF ACNE
What is Acne ?
Acne occurs when the small pores on the surface of the skin become blocked with oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria. Each individual pore on the skin opens up to a follicle beneath the skin. Within these follicles lie a singular hair and a sebaceous gland. The sebaceous gland produces sebum, an oil designed to keep your skin lubricated and soft and safe. However, when hormonal changes and other factors cause the gland to produce an excess of sebum, the oil will be pumped through the follicle, and may pick up dead skin cells and P. acnes bacteria on its way out. Should these substances clump together, a plug will form. As this plug starts to press up against the surface of the skin, the body responds with an accumulation of red and white blood cells to combat any infection (the body's normal immune reaction) and this results in inflammation and redness.
Simply put, think of your pores (the small holes in your skin) as pipes to the oil glands (underneath your skin). Anything clogging these pipes up and you’ve got acne. Beyond that, your oil glands produce sebum, which for our purposes, you can think of as simply “oil.” When too much oil is produced, a plug is formed with dead skin cells which clogs up your pipes. Technically, what’s really going on is your follicles are being blocked.
TYPES OF ACNE
Depending on whether or not they cause inflammation of the surrounding skin, you can find the 2 major acne types.
Non-inflammatory Acne types are the least severe forms of acne. The blemishes do not cause swelling and are not very painful. Whiteheads and blackheads falls under this category.
- Whiteheads These are small, whitish or flesh-colored spots or bumps. They usually have a white, circular center surrounded by a red halo. A hair will sometimes emerge from the center of a whitehead, or it may appear to be trapped within the blemish. The skin around a whitehead may appear to be tight or wrinkled, especially when the whitehead is large or especially raised. Whiteheads typically do not cause scarring.
- Blackheads They are small, black or dark-colored spots that may appear as slightly raised bumps. The skin around a blackhead usually appears normal, while the center of the blackhead is darker than the surrounding area. The coloration is not a result of trapped dirt. Blackheads are simply whiteheads that have opened and widened. When the contents of a whitehead are exposed to air, they darken.
- Mild forms
- Papules are bumps under the skin's surface. They are solid, tender, pink, and raised, and the skin around a papule is usually slightly swollen and red. Papules develop when whiteheads or blackheads cause so much irritation that they damage some of the surrounding skin. The damage leads to inflammation.
- Pustules (pimples) are larger, tender bumps with a defined circular center. The center is filled with whitish or yellowish pus, and the bump has a pink or red base. Immune cells and bacterial cells collect to form this pus. Pimples typically look like much larger and more inflamed whiteheads.
- Severe forms
- Nodules are hard, painful, inflamed lumps located deep within the skin. They look like larger, deeper papules and have no visible center or head. This type of acne lesion develops when clogged pores damage tissues and cells deep beneath the skin's surface. Nodules are a severe form of acne blemish, and they can cause skin complications such as dark spots or scarring.
- Cysts are very large, soft, painful, red or white lumps situated deep in the skin. They are filled with pus. Cysts form deeper within the skin than nodules, and they are the most severe type of acne blemish. Cysts can also cause skin complications, such as scarring.
CAUSES OF ACNE
Acne can be caused by one or more problems in the natural skin lubrication process. It can occur when:
- too much oil is produced by your follicles
- dead skin cells accumulate in your pores
- bacteria builds up in your pores
The questions you may be asking now:
- What causes these problems ?
- What causes acne on my cheeks ?
- Why is my face breaking out all of a sudden ?
Read on below for the answer on the different acne causes:
Common acne is generally caused by hormonal changes in the body, and its onset usually can be found in teenage years during puberty. Acne is directly attributed to the rise of androgen hormone levels. The production of these hormones rise when a child begins puberty, and is the reason much acne is prevalent in adolescence. As androgen levels rise, the oil glands sitting directly underneath the skin enlarge and produce increased levels of oil.
When pores are filled with excessive oil or sebum, it can cause the surrounding skin cell walls to rupture and create a breeding ground of P. acnes bacteria. As the sebum attempts to push out of the pore, it can attach to this infectious bacteria and dead skin cells, causing a blockage that begins the formation of a pimple.
- The Role of Genetics
One of the top cited studies took a look at 458 pairs of identical twins and 1099 pairs of fraternal twins to study acne prevalence. They found that genes explained a significant 81 percent of the difference in acne prevalence, while the other 19 percent was explained by non-shared environmental factors. Yet another study took a look at the difference in rates of acne in first-degree relatives between patients and controls. The study used 204 acne patients, and 144 non-acne controls. This study determined that having a first-degree relative who suffers from acne increases the risk of getting acne by four times.
Genes play a role in several ways: firstly, they contribute to skin sensitivity. Acne-prone skin is more susceptible to oil production, and tends to shed and regenerate skin cells faster. Those prone to acne also exhibit strong inflammatory responses to skin irritants and bacteria in comparison to those who don’t have issues with acne.
Since acne is technically classified as a disease that affects the skin’s oil glands and having acne is greatly affected by simple changes in diet. This is why it is crucial to learn what foods cause acne. Read on and make sure to be careful about eating the following:
a. Refined Grains and Sugars
People with acne tend to consume more refined carbohydrates than people with little or none. Eating lots of refined carbohydrates may increase blood sugar and insulin levels and contribute to the development of acne. Insulin makes androgen hormones more active and increases insulin-like growth factor. This contributes to acne development by making skin cells grow more quickly and by boosting oil production. However, more research is needed.
Foods rich in refined carbohydrates include:
- Bread or cereal made with white flour
- Pasta made with white flour
- White rice and rice noodles
- Sweeteners like cane sugar, maple syrup, honey
- And other sugar-sweetened beverages
b. Dairy Products
Hormones that are found in dairy products can stimulate the sebum glands in your face, making them produce more oil and clog your pores. Many people find that when they cut dairy from their diets their skin clears up dramatically.
c. Fast Food
Acne is strongly associated with eating a Western-style diet rich in calories, fat and refined carbohydrates. Fast food items, such as burgers, nuggets, hot dogs, french fries, sodas and milkshakes, are mainstays of a typical Western diet and may increase acne risk.
Eating processed foods made from white flour and potatoes in fast foods increases risk for acne. The key to great skin is avoiding as many processed foods as possible.
Chocolate has been a suspected acne trigger since the 1920s, but so far, no consensus has been reached. The exact reason why chocolate might increase acne is unclear, although one study found that eating chocolate increased the reactivity of the immune system to acne-causing bacteria, this may help explain these findings.
Soda is hands down the worst acne-causing food or drink in the standard American diet. Besides being loaded with fructose (which has its own unique set of problems), soda is entirely devoid of any nutrients.
As pointed out by many different scientific researchers, soda is almost on par with alcohol when it comes to how damaging it is to your body. But how does it cause acne? Well, quite simply, fructose is sugar — and soda is loaded with both. This sugar causes a huge insulin spike, and then a subsequent crash, which is part of why you’re actually hungrier after consuming a soda.
What Causes Acne Breakouts ?
If you are wondering, Why is my face breaking out all of a sudden ? then you should know that understanding why you break out requires consideration of a variety of aspects. There are many underlying reasons for acne breakouts; Stress is a significant factor contributing to sudden breakouts.
As we discussed earlier, hormonal fluctuations are one of the main culprits leading to acne, stress is definitely another. When we are stressed, we release cortisol hormones. A surge in testosterone causes your oil glands to produce more, elevating your risk for bacterial infection to occur in your skin pores, causing pimples to form. Of course, when you start breaking out, the emotional toll it can take on your self-confidence can lead to more stress, which then continues the process of breakouts from the surge in cortisol that your body continues to produce.
Secondly, it is important to pay close attention to the ingredients in your skin care products. The products should be fragrance-free and non-comedogenic (that is formulated so as not to cause blocked pores). It's critical to know your skin type and learn which products work best for you. If you start breaking out, check if you're using any new products that you may have added to your skin care regimen. One useful tip in trying to identify if a skincare product might be at the root of your breakouts is to pay attention to where your skin is suddenly breaking out. If you usually tend to get acne in a particular area of your face, and suddenly, with the addition of a new product, your breakouts appear elsewhere, then there is a good chance that it might be the new product causing your pimples. There is a theory called “face mapping” that suggests the location of your acne could present clues about what’s causing it.
Forehead: Pimples here are usually linked to the digestive system, and may indicate that you’re having a hard time breaking down certain foods. It may also indicate liver problems (too many toxins), stress, or an irregular sleep schedule.
Between the brows: Greasy, fatty foods may be connected to acne here. Another possible cause—too much alcohol. If you find pimples here after a night out where you consumed a few drinks that may be your issue.
Cheeks: so what causes acne on cheeks ? If you spent time in the city, had to sit in traffic for hours, or otherwise came into contact with polluted air, that may explain pimples showing up here. Allergies that affect the respiratory system may also be to blame, or if you pressed your cell phone against your skin while talking, germs may have been transferred to your face. Sometimes, acne here can be a symptom of too much sugar in your diet.
Chin: Chin pimples often come around because of changes in your hormones. In the days before your period, try to pay extra attention to your skin care. Also be sure you’re not resting your chin in your hands when bored or tired, as this can transfer oils from your fingers onto your chin, which can cause pimples.
NATURAL TREATMENT OF ACNE
So how do you deal with acne ? How to get rid of pimples on forehead ? How to make sure there’s going to be no breakouts? Conventional acne treatments can be expensive and often have undesirable side effects like dryness, redness and irritation.
Home remedies for acne
This has prompted many people to look into how to cure acne naturally at home, especially home remedies for acne scars and also the use of natural supplements. Instead of shelling out for expensive acne treatments or medications, learn how to get clear skin with these natural acne home remedies and natural dietary supplements. Read more below:
Here’s how to cure acne naturally in 3 days with a homemade acne treatment :
- Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar and 3 parts water (use more water for sensitive skin).
- After cleansing, gently apply the mixture to the skin using a cotton ball.
- Let sit for 5–20 seconds, rinse with water and pat dry.
- Repeat this process 1–2 times per day, as needed.
It is important to note that applying apple cider vinegar to your skin can cause burns and irritation, so it should always be used in small amounts and diluted with water.
- Mix 1 part tea tree oil with 9 parts water.
- Dip a cotton swab into the mixture and apply it to affected areas.
- Apply moisturizer if desired. 4. Repeat this process 1–2 times per day, as needed.
How to use coconut oil for acne :
- Mix equal parts of coconut oil and sugar (or salt) .
- Scrub skin with mixture and rinse well.
- Exfoliate as often as desired up to once daily
Omega-3 fatty acids are incredibly healthy fats that offer a multitude of health benefits. You must get these fats from your diet, but research shows that most people who eat a standard Western diet don't get enough of them. Fish oils contain two main types of omega-3 fatty acids: eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). EPA benefits the skin in several ways, including managing oil production, maintaining adequate hydration and preventing acne . High levels of EPA and DHA have been shown to decrease inflammatory factors, which may reduce the risk of acne. You can get omega-3 fatty acids by eating salmon, sardines, anchovies, walnuts, chia seeds and ground flaxseeds.
There’s a reason mushrooms are referred to as magic, but not for the psychedelic reasons one may think. Reishi or ganoderma lucidum, a medicinal mushroom, is a natural pimple remedy. Reishi mushroom extract contains a high content of polysaccharides, responsible for the skin’s natural ability to hydrate and retain water, and which are also important for skin repair and renewal. Providing dry, stressed and inflamed skin with penetrating rejuvenation by adding hydrating skincare with reishi mushrooms can be a great solution!
Here are the Reishi mushroom benefits for acne and learn how to get clear skin naturally:
a. Naturally Smooth Skin - Reishi mushrooms contain what are known as beta-glucans, which are natural sugars that can help reduce and calm dry, itchy skin. And most importantly it can smoothen those lines.
b. Reduce Inflammation - Reishi mushrooms have inflammation-reducing properties that can help with any sort of inflammation, inside or out. Specifically on the skin, these properties can help with acne, blemishes, and swelling esp if you are looking for ways on how to clear acne naturally.
c. Provide Anti-Aging Benefits - Reishi mushrooms are known as the mushrooms of immortality for a reason. Their anti-aging benefits are what make them so popular for skincare. They can help clear up wrinkles, lines and other signs of aging
d. Strengthen Skin Protection - Reishi mushrooms can help not only give you smooth skin, but can also help strengthen your skin against all sorts of typical skin issues (acne, blemishes, etc). e. Boost Detox Process - Reishi mushrooms have natural detoxification properties that can help cleanse your body and ultimately your skin (remember, the health of your skin starts on the inside).
But aside from all these acne home remedies, in a naturopathic sense; healing acne requires getting to the root cause of disease. Although the symptoms of acne appear on the skin, the underlying imbalance lies far beneath the surface. It has been said that the skin is a window to the liver. Thus it is crucial to optimize and improve the function of the liver. The section will help us understand how to get rid of hormonal acne naturally by addressing a root cause.
REISHI MUSHROOM BENEFITS LIST
Although you might be using reishi mushroom for acne, you can actually address more than you skin problems. Reishi is very antioxidant rich and contains compounds that basically help your liver out by neutralizing some of the toxins in your body the liver would otherwise have to deal with. Reishi mushroom is an adaptogen, meaning it helps to bring your body to a state of homeostasis and allows the body to adapt to stress. Reishi mushroom health benefits seem never ending, but it is commonly utilized for its calming and grounding effects. Additionally, reishi mushrooms have been shown to extend the life span, reduce tumor size and regenerate the liver.
The number of ganoderma benefits provided by this natural mushroom wonder is pleasing, especially because it is also so gentle to sensitive skin. Let’s further discuss the Health Benefits of Reishi Mushroom, as well how easy it can be to take as a dietary supplement.
1. Detoxifies and Strengthens Liver: As mentioned earlier, reishi is a potential liver regenerator. Various researches conducted suggest that the wild variant for this herb is gifted with powerful ingredients that can detoxify the liver.
2. Natural Immune Modulator: Reishi is known to give the immune system a boost, irrespective of its current functioning level. Along with regulating the immune system of the body, this mushroom ensures you a speedy recovery when you are ill.
3. Anti-Cancerous And Anti-Tumor Properties: Doctors in Japan have approved Reishi as a cure for assorted types of cancer, when used in conjunction with radiation and other anti-cancerous drugs. Studies suggest that along with easing the negative impacts of radiation and chemotherapy, this mushroom also possesses the power to prevent the growth and spread of tumor cells. Being an immune modulator, it also helps in revitalizing and renewing the immune system, enabling faster recovery.
4. Combats Depression: This mushroom has well-known, effective, and efficient impact on the state of your mind. Known for its mood improving and calming properties, Reishi is one of the most sought after anti-depressant herbs. It eases irritability and anxiety, calms the mind, relaxes the body, and helps you overcome depression.
5. Bid Goodbye to Allergies: Studies conducted by Japanese scientists suggest that this mushroom is a natural antihistamine. It has the potential to prevent the release of histamines when you are subjected to some kind of allergies or anaphylactic shock or even hay fever and atopic dermatitis. That is why it is quite popular as a herbal remedy for allergies.
6. Shed your Excess Weight: Obesity and being overweight is the result of a slow metabolism. The higher your metabolic rate, the better the chances of burning fat quickly. Using this herb in a judicious way enables you to increase the body’s metabolism rate, helping it lose weight in a healthy, irreversible way.
7. Nourishes Respiratory System: Reishi has a positive impact on your respiratory system. People suffering from various respiratory conditions, including simple cold and cough and sinusitis or more severe conditions like asthma and bronchitis, can use this herb to reap its benefit.
8. Improves Cardiovascular Health: Touted to be an efficient anti-hypertensive (reducing blood pressure), Reishi has amazing affect on your cardiovascular health. It helps to lower and regulate the blood pressure levels of the body. It also helps to bring down the cholesterol levels in blood. When these ingredients are kept under control, then you will be less prone to heart and vascular conditions, including stroke and atherosclerosis.
9. Eases Inflammatory Conditions: Many a time, inflammatory conditions are accompanied by intense levels of pain. Arthritis and neuralgia are two such conditions. Studies suggest that this mushroom contains compounds that help in easing the inflammation prevailing in such conditions, alleviating and easing the pain experienced by the sufferer.
Reishi is available across the world in ready made forms, including Reishi Mushroom capsules, powders, and tonics. There are quite a handful of cosmetic products where this herb has been used as an active ingredient. As would be expected, organically grown Reishi supplements are usually of good-to-excellent quality. This is the reason why brands such as Boostceuticals only uses Reishi mushroom grown without chemicals in pristine mountain environments.
TOP REISHI MUSHROOM SUPPLEMENTS & PRODUCTS
I'm super pleased with the product! I love the natural products...…. I had heard about this product, but decided to do a little research before buying and was shocked with the wonderful properties of reishi: Helps improve liver function, strengthen the immune system, regulating pressure levels blood, promote longevity... I have three weeks of taking the product and I feel great. It gives me energy, stabilize my mood and I think even improves my quality of sleep... Anyway, I'm happy with the product, only two capsule per day and the bottle brings a hundred so it is quite convenient.by Eugenia Y
Helps to decrease acneby Suzanne Box
Using these Reishi mushrooms to help keep my immune system strongby C Feliciano
Helps with nerve pain, BPH, plus a lot more. Seen a big difference in being able to sleep better. Very highly recommended.by Coco LaBelle
This stuff is really great for your skin. It's made my skin look younger I swear.by Reeva Leahyeeva Leahy
BEST WAY TO BENEFIT FROM REISHI MUSHROOMS
The Reishi mushroom has truly stood the test of time and the scrutiny of high level scientific research, which is rare in the world of herbs and clearly a testament to the its ‘superfood’ claims. One of the best ways to consume reishi mushrooms and reap their benefits is to get them in a capsule form. This will ensure that you get the right dosage to experience its effectiveness.
Capsules are more easily broken down in the stomach than hard tablets, also they are mostly preferred as they are easier to carry around to the gym with you, to your work, to travel or wherever you need it. Since everything you need is contained with a small protective shell, you can just toss it in a pill organizer or small, dark, air-tight container and take it with you. You can’t do that with powder.
In summary, acne is a common problem with a number of underlying causes. We also learned the different acne types as well as home remedies for acne. As diet is one of the main acne causes, we should always watch out and control what gets in our mouth. Although there are several home remedies for acne such as coconut oil and apple cider vinegar for acne and it will definitely help to add natural supplements to your daily regimen.
Using the right natural supplements every day can get you to where you want to be much faster than taking care on food alone, as it would heal acne by dealing with the root cause. Reishi Mushroom supplementation, an adaptogen is essential and effective for speeding up the process of healing and recovery. You can stop throwing your money away on expensive and risky medications and you can go completely natural. As there is no cure for all the different acne types, it's crucial and helpful to be proactive with the natural supplements to gain control over acne.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Have any questions or thoughts? Please, feel free to ask away as you share and tag us in your post! BoostCeuticals strive to provide a community who are excited about finding the best boost they need and living the best life possible, both optimally healthy & happy!Your Participation is the energy behind us helping you in your daily healthy boost!.