3 Tips On Best Immune Health and Aging In The Coronavirus Environment
Immunity is on everyone’s mind as we work to protect ourselves and each other from COVID19. The coronavirus pandemic is taking a harsh toll especially on the elderly. Due to changes in the human immune system as we age, older people are at increased risk from viruses like this.
When a foreign pathogen like a virus invades the body, the difference between illness and health is a race between how fast the pathogen can spread within your body and how fast your immune response can react and fight without causing too much internal damage.
Our overall immune defense decreases as we age. Because of the decline in immune function, if even one viral particle gets into the airways of an older adult, it may be enough for the virus to survive and grow there. For younger individuals, if you have a very strong immune system, the body may be able to kill and deal with the virus even if more virus particles get in.
Aging is a natural occurrence that we can slow down but eventually we all age. Our main concern should be, how can we increase the immune function of older adults? The good news is there are strategies the aging individuals can employ to give their immune systems a boost.
Aging expert Dr. Nir Barzilai says older people who are fit and should follow a combination of exercise, fasting and in doing so they are more likely to overcome an exposure to Coronavirus. He believes there are key things we can do to slow down the aging process and thus make us less vulnerable to Covid-19. It means individuals who are more conscious and in control of their health develop a stronger immune function.
Our main concern should be, how can we increase the immune function of older adults? The good news is there are strategies the aging individuals can employ to give their immune systems a boost.
Increasing immunity with intermittent fasting
One way to strengthen the immune system among aging individuals is intermittent fasting. Research suggests intermittent fasting can lengthen lifespan and keep us healthier. It can even help in addressing some chronic diseases that are common among elderly (page 7 of https://www.gwern.net/docs/longevity/2019-decabo.pdf/).
Intermittent fasting, as defined by review authors Rafael de Cabo and Mark P. Mattson, is a period of food restriction sufficient to clear liver glycogen stores and dramatically suppress glucose, insulin, and amino acid uptake by cells. Putting it in simpler terms, intermittent fasting is an eating plan that switches between fasting and eating on a regular schedule. It works by prolonging the period when your body has burned through the calories consumed during your last meal and begins burning fat.
Even though most people are using intermittent fasting for weight loss there are many other health benefits that come with it too. Intermittent Fasting can help your body stay healthier by allowing it to use that period of not eating to focus on fighting off infection, viruses, and more, by stimulating your body's disease-fighting defenses. Intermittent fasting can boost immunity in quarantine.
One of the ways intermittent fasting enhances your immune system is by lowering inflammation in your body. Having too much inflammation can cause the immune system in your body to weaken making you more susceptible to getting sick. Another study found intermittent fasting can boost the number of white blood cells in your body. White blood cells are very important for your immune system and fighting off viruses. Fasting for longer periods of time forces your body to use glucose and glycogen for energy. Then it’ll also start to break down white blood cells. In return, your body will begin to regenerate and create new white blood cells which in a way will ‘reset’ your entire immune system.
How intermittent fasting works with COVID19
As afflicted individuals probably won't have much appetite. That's the body's way of harnessing its energy to fight the virus. Eating less helps to stimulate this process, and this is why when we are sick, the body’s natural reaction is to eat less. Our body wants to clean the house. This is why people often lose weight when they get sick, since their body diverts energy to fight off the virus. and of course, staying hydrated by drinking lots of water, tea and fluids is important to keep your body able to recover if you do get sick.
Other Ways for aging to strengthen Immune system
The right amount of exercise: Engaging in social and physical activities within the limits of social distancing is also a good way of strengthening the immune system. One small study found that older adults who exercised vigorously had immune systems similar to those of much younger adults.Stay active, but remember: now is not the time to start a new high intensity exercise routine.
Get adequate sleep: Sleep is important for health in general, and as a bonus it may also benefit our immune function. For instance, one study showed those with insomnia had, on average, less immune response to the influenza vaccine, while another study in twins showed those with worse sleep had altered expression of genes related to immune function.
Supplements: Several studies show that taking vitamins, minerals, or other supplements with immune boosting benefits help aging individuals protect them from COVID-19.
- Vitamin C: For decades, Vitamin C has been used to help prevent the common cold. Among other functions, it can help maintain healthy skin that provides a barrier to germs and other harmful invaders
- Vitamin D : A 2017 systematic review of 25 randomized trials found that taking a Vitamin D supplement seemed to have a mild protective effect against respiratory-tract infections in most people, but provided much greater protection in those who were very deficient in Vitamin D. So it’s probably wise to take a Vitamin D supplement right now, especially if you’re at increased risk for COVID-19.
- Garlic: a popular and pungent herb with a characteristic aroma, is widely believed to have antibacterial and antiviral effects, including helping to fight the common cold. A study made last 2014 did find that people who took a garlic supplement had fewer colds and recovered more quickly from colds than people who didn’t take garlic.
- Red Marine Algae : Aids in fighting dangerous pathogens by boosting the immune system. Red Marine Algae supplement primarily supports the body in fighting illnesses as it enhances the body’s immune response to viruses, fungi and bacteria. Red Marine Algae can simply give the boost that an individual needs in order to be better able to deal with any of these unwanted dangerous organisms. A good example is the popularity of Red Algae in naturally dealing with genital herpes or hpv.
- Quercetin : Earlier scientists have started to research Quercetin for its antiviral properties and potential effects for Covid-19. Quercetin is a pigment found in many fruits, vegetables and plants. You can get Quercetin through a balanced diet or as a food supplement in a concentrated and high 500mg dose per capsule.
- Reishi : Medicinal mushrooms have been a very popular choice for both healing and general wellness. Reishi mushroom are the most prominent as it is a valuable health tonic which is widely used to build the immune system and increase wellbeing. Reishi Mushroom is the most potent adaptogen that increases the body's resistance to stress. Adaptogens are natural herbs sometimes referred to as adaptogenic herbs that increase the body's resistance to stress and help the body overcome any health challenges in a shorter amount of time.
The flu is a potentially dangerous virus for our aging population. It’s important that everyone takes steps to strengthen the immune system to avoid a cold and flu. By incorporating a healthy, active lifestyle with healthy-living strategies, our aging loved ones can strengthen their immune system and health to better prevent and better deal with any COVID19!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Have any questions or thoughts? Please, feel free to ask away as you share and tag us in your post! BoostCeuticals strive to provide a community who are excited about finding the best boost they need and living the best life possible, both optimally healthy & happy!
Your Participation is the energy behind us helping you in your daily healthy boost!